UNICEF Rabat Morocco – Vacancy Announcement
Temporary Position “Communication For Development Officer– NO1”
(for 364 days with possibility of extension)
(for Moroccan nationals only)
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The Communication for Development Officer reports to the C4D Specialist for close supervision and guidance. The Officer provides technical and operational support to the Supervisor and internal colleagues by administering, executing and implementing a variety of tasks to promote community engagement and participation, and measurable behavioral and social change/mobilization, requiring the application of technical and theoretical skills and the study of organizational goals, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
- Support to strategy design and development of C4D activities
- Research and/or participate in conducting comprehensive C4D situation analysis of social, cultural, economic, communication and political issues in the country/region. Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information and data to support the establishment of comprehensive and evidence-based information for developing and planning the C4D component of the Country Program of Cooperation (and UNDAF).
- Collect, draft and/or organize materials and related documentations for C4D strategies and plans (as a component of the CO and/or UNDAF Programs) to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of achievements/results.
- Assess and/or recommend appropriate information and materials for C4D initiatives verifying accuracy and quality for dissemination.
- Assess the impact of C4D activities on the CO and UNICEF goals to achieve measurable behavioral and social change resulting in the improvement of children’s rights and wellbeing. Submit qualitative report/synthesis of results for development planning and improvement.
- Support to the implementation of C4D activities
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to provide operational and technical support to the design of C4D strategies, and research, develop, test, produce and use quality C4D materials and/or organize events and activities to ensure maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change of target audience.
- Provide technical, administrative and logistical support and background materials to carry out C4D activities and recommend operational strategies, approaches, plans, methods and procedures to ensure optimum outreach and impact to target audience.
- Design comprehensive community based C4D interventions in support to sectoral programs
- Provide technical guidance for, and oversee, appropriate community-based approaches involving interpersonal communication, community participation, dialogue and empowerment
- Establish/reinforce results-oriented, two-way communication channels between communities and service providers to promote, upgrade and strengthen the adoption of key parental practices
- Develop and support strengthening of partnerships with local stakeholders/ government officials, community and civil society groups, leaders and other key partners for participation in social and behavioral changes activities.
- Design and implement training programs for community actors
- Establish micro-planning systems at community level to ensure targeted responses, real time monitoring and adequate and timely readjustments
- Provide leadership and proactive direction in going-to-scale of community-based activities
- Assess and recommend potential contacts, networks, resources and multiple/social/digital media and tools to support maximum impact and outreach of C4D initiatives.
- Follow up on the production of C4D materials to ensure technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audience (e.g. individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media etc).
- Collect, assess and organize information for budget planning and management of program funds and prepare documentations and related materials for financial plan for C4D initiatives. Monitor/track the use of resources as planned and verify compliance with organizational guidelines, rules and regulations and standards of ethics and transparency.
- Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with national and international civil society organizations, community groups, leaders and other critical partners in the community and civil society to reinforce cooperation through engagement, empowerment and self-determination and to pursue opportunities for greater advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, social equity and inclusiveness.
- Collaborate with internal global/regional communication partners to harmonize, link and/or coordinate messaging to enhance C4D outreach and contribution to programmatic outcomes.
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Institutionalize/share best practices and knowledge learned/products with global/local partners and stakeholders to build capacity of practitioners/users, and disseminate lessons learned to key audiences including donors and partners.
- Support the organization, administration and implementation of capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders/partners across programme sectors in C4D planning, implementation and evaluation in support of programs/projects. Develop training materials for training activities and revise them periodically for improvements and updates.
Qualifications of a Successful Candidate
A University Degree in social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or other related social science field is required.
- Work Experience
- At least 02 years of professional experience in areas of social development program planning, communications and public advocacy and/or related areas at the international and/or large organization is an asset.
- Experience in areas of health/ nutrition programs is an asset
- Language Proficiency
- Fluency in French and Arabic is required. Working Knowledge of English is a strong asset
Competencies of a Successful Candidate
- Core Values (Required)
- Commitment Diversity and Inclusion • Integrity
- ii) Core Competencies (Required)
- Communication [ II] • Working with People [ I ] • Drive for Results [ I ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
. Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ] • Relating and Networking [ I ]
- Persuading and Influencing [ I ] • Applying Technical Expertise [ I ]
- Learning and Researching [ II ] • Planning and Organizing [ II ]
Candidate can apply online through
before 31 October 2019
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
“UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.”