TASHAROC is a two-year programme based in Tangier and is funded by the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office to support the Tangier-Tétouan-Al Hoceïma (TTA) Regional Council in the regionalisation process. As part of the project, TASHAROC will provide capacity building and technical assistance across a range of areas in support of the Regional Council’s mandate.
Regional Council (RC TTA)
The RC TTA is an elected local body governed by public law and is, according to Organic Law 111-14, in charge of various development areas in the region. The RC of the TTA region is one of the 12 regional councils of Morocco that constitute the first administrative division in the framework of advanced regionalisation.
Mission and Scope of work
As part of its technical assistance, TASHAROC supported the RC TTA in coaching senior Regional Council and Agence Régionale d’Exécution des Projets (AREP) staff in change management to ensure that reforms being implemented (SOP manuals, job description, etc) are embedded and implemented by all staff. Given the number of changes that occurred in parallel within the RC and AREP (SOP manuals, job descriptions, recruitments, appointments of new managers, etc) and the interest shown by the staff for this assignment, the work was focused on three key objectives: (i) ensuring top managers’ understanding and commitment to a change management process; (ii) raising awareness about the importance and the impact of changes that were implemented; and (iii) identifying key change ambassadors that will lead this change process and disseminate good practices among the RC and AREP and provide personal coaching for them.
As a result, a diagnostic of existing staff profiles within the two institutions was developed and a road map for a change management process was drafted. Managers who will lead the process (change ambassadors), either as steering committee members or in their day-to-day work, were identified, together with their own coaching needs. In a second phase, TASHAROC provided personal coaching to key RC TTA and AREP staff identified as change ambassadors or potential influencers to support them in their mission and allow them to understand their strengths and weaknesses, and how to better communicate with their staff in this change management process.
In May 2020, the RC TTA appointed a new Directeur Général des Services (DGS) and in its July session, the council adopted a new organigramme to better reflect the RC’s prerogatives, improve the efficiency and effectiveness of its administration, and provide career evolution opportunities for its staff. These two developments within the RC TTA are being supported by TASHAROC in two key areas: (i) updating existing SOP manual and job description documents to fit the new organigramme, and (ii) developing information systems to smoothen the implementation of key procedures and improve the internal communication.
As the change process within the RC TTA is in its final phase at the organisational level and given the involvement of TASHAROC in several aspects (SOP manual, job description, information systems etc), the need for a targeted change management support is crucial to ensure smooth implementation of organisational changes and a dynamic and sustainable involvement of change ambassadors previously identified and coached in the ongoing process.
In this regard, and as a continuation of the previous assignments, TASHAROC wishes to recruit a consultant who will provide targeted change management support. The aim is to focus on the operational aspects of implementing the ongoing organisational change and capitalise on the previous outcomes to establish the ground for a smooth and sustainable change management process within the RC TTA. This means providing support in three aspects: (i) Developing a written organisational change vision for the RC, (ii) supporting the DGS and key change ambassadors to inject organisational change dynamics at all hierarchical levels, and (ii) supporting the establishment of sustainable mechanisms and processes enabling staff to receive professional development support on an ongoing basis.
Working closely with the RC TTA and TASHAROC team, and in coordination with the SOP manual and job description consultant, and information systems experts, this consultant will be expected to:
- Support the RC TTA in developing a written vision for the occurring organisational change within the institution. This document will constitute the reference document in communicating with staff and political members.
- In coordination with the DGS and relevant managers, prepare and facilitate workshops for RC TTA’s staff to explain the new organisational vision and ensure they are fully aware of its implications and their role in implementing it.
- Support in establishing a steering committee to ensure the supervision of the change management process and the sustainability of changes being introduced in the RC TTA.
- Support the DGS and relevant change ambassadors to develop change management plans to enable them to roll out the coaching across their line reports.
- Provide mentoring for the DGS and relevant change ambassadors as they implement changes and coaching with their line reports.
- Provide mentoring to the Human Resources departments in establishing sustainable mechanisms and processes enabling staff to receive professional development support on an ongoing basis.
- Provide mentoring to ensure all processes, materials and methodologies are developed in a gender and socially inclusive manner, and that they align with the recommendations made in the recent Gender and Social Inclusion (GSI) Strategy for the RC TTA.
- Provide monthly reports (regularly throughout the assignment) to TASHAROC with a progress update and assessment of activities carried out, identified challenges and/or recommendations throughout the assignment; and
- Produce a final report at the end of the assignment with details of results achieved and any required next steps and/or recommendations.