UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a voice
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programmes, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
How can you make a difference?
Under general supervision of the Communication Specialist, performs a variety of information gathering, support the management of social media platforms, performs administrative tasks of the section and technical tasks of moderate scope and difficulty, in support of communication activities. The Communication Associate will support, and back up different transactions of the section undertaken in different processes.
Summary of key functions/ accountabilities
- Assist in updating the website and social media platforms with the aim of finding innovative ways to increase numbers of followers among key target audiences and enhance their commitment, create and modify web buttons and other graphics.
- Assist in the implementation and follow up of the communication plan, manage and monitor the orders placed with the agency and other service providers.
- Perform administrative tasks required by the communication section, support the logistics of the section, participate in the visits of projects, support to the organization of events, participate in follow-up of meetings with partners and support their organization and monitoring, draft non-substantive correspondence, prepare press books, answer routine enquiries of the communication section.
- Provide support in administrative and financial monitoring of the communication section, contribute to the preparation of the documentation section (Annual report, reporting to donors, presentations, meetings report…).
- Support in managing the photo library of the office and manage electronic documentation (collection, storage, duplication and dissemination), is responsible for monitoring and control of the documentation and of communication materials.
- Provide support in financial pre-treatment to partners requests, introduce and complete program information on the UNICEF software, monitoring and records of liquidation of cash advance in collaboration with relevant partners and prepare regular reports of commitments and expenditure of the section.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary education preferably supplemented by technical or university courses in a field related to the work of the organization.
- 06 years of progressively responsible technical/secretariat work.
Communication experience of working with advertisers, a media organ or communication agency.
Experience in management of social media platforms would be an asset.
- Fluency in French and Arabic is required. Good Knowledge of English is a strong asset.
For every child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with people and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are …
- i) Core Values (Required)
- Diversity and Inclusion
- ii) Core Competencies (Required)
- Communication [ II]
- Working with People [ II]
- Drive for Results [ II]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
- Analyzing [ II] • Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Following instructions and Procedures [ II] • Planning and Organizing [ II ]
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- Candidate can apply online by copying the link below in his/her browser
- The closing date of this position is 19 January 2020
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.