Programme Manager, Morocco
Based in Rabat, Morocco
Full Time – Fixed Term Contract of Services, Until March 2017
Salary: competitive local salary
The Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD) is the UK’s leading democracy-strengthening organisation. We bring together parliamentary and political party expertise to help developing countries and countries transitioning to democracy. WFD is an independent foundation sponsored by the Foreign and Commonwealth (FCO) and the Department for International Development (DFID) specialising in parliamentary strengthening and political party development.
Established in 1992, WFD has supported transitions to democracy in central and Eastern Europe, strengthened multi-party democracies in Africa, and extended its work to Asia and Middle East and North Africa in recent years. WFD is now active in more than 25 countries around the world. For more information, please visit www.wfd.org
Based in Rabat since 2011, WFD currently operates three programmes in Morocco, supporting both Houses of the Moroccan Parliament on a range of themes. WFD’s programmes all combine work with parliaments, the institutions that support parliaments and civil society organisations that interact with parliaments. The programmes generally aim to enhance and strengthen the oversight and legislative roles of parliament.
Main Purpose of the Role:
This new role works closely with the Country Representative to ensure the delivery of WFD’s planned objectives in Morocco. Specifically, the PM will take responsibility for the day to day running of a project or major project components within WFD’s portfolio of work in Morocco. Key aspects of this role will be overseeing the planning and implementation of activities, monitoring and evaluation (tracking indicators and documenting progress towards results, reporting (internal and external) and gathering case studies), financial management and planning, and stakeholder management (including senior political figures).
The role will suit an ambitious and experienced project manager who is ready to work in a busy and high-paced environment. It provides excellent opportunities for the right candidate to gain extensive experience delivering and managing demanding programmes. Initially, the successful applicant should expect a period of learning and familiarisation with stakeholders and WFD working practices under close supervision. The level of responsibility will then be increased with proven performance and capability.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Educated to Master’s Degree level in a relevant discipline such as political science, law, social development, public administration or international relations.
- Thorough knowledge of the political environment in Morocco and the workings of Parliament and a sound understanding of other parliamentary and political systems (including key reference points such as the UK, France, US).
- Significant experience in managing relationships and working with senior stakeholders.
- Proven experience in designing and implementing programmes and delivering results. This should include management experience of parliamentary strengthening or related democracy development work.
- Excellent English, written and oral communications skills necessary to produce proposals and reports and to present them to WFD’s Board and funders, to donors, and to local partners and other stakeholders.
- Thorough understanding and experience of financial management and numerical competency.
- Significant experience of producing programme reports with analysis and documentation of outcomes and programme learning.
- Credibility and confidence to lead programme implementation and coordination.
- The flexibility to work in a fast changing environment with the ability to manage and prioritise a range of operational, financial and administrative responsibilities.
- Ability to work independently and effectively, and drive to manage workload, with limited supervision. In addition, the humility and commitment to contribute to the work of the team on any level, including administrative work.
- Ability and confidence to multi-task in an international environment
- Strong diplomatic skills and ability to influence and negotiate with senior officials, politicians, and representatives of international organisations and NGOs
- Demonstrated ability to capture lessons learnt to inform new ways of working and identify future opportunities and challenges
- Achieves a level of delivery which exceed stakeholder expectations, enhances the reputation of the organisation and promotes the programmes successes
- An understanding of one or more of the areas of focus of the programme (financial oversight, research, public policy evaluation, budget oversight, gender, SDGs, communication and outreach).
- Proven experience implementing programmes funded by the UK Government (such as APF or CSSF).
- Significant experience of gathering and consolidating information for monitoring and evaluation purposes, including research methods.
HOW TO APPLY:
For full details of the role criteria and instructions for how to apply for this position, please visit WFD website at: http://www.wfd.org/2033-2/
The deadline for receiving applications is 23:59 (GMT) 27th September 2016.
This is a locally based field role and therefore the successful candidate must have eligibility to work in the relevant location.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
The appointment will be made on merit on the basis of fair and open competi