The International Republican Institute (IRI), an international non-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO), dedicated to promoting democracy worldwide, with projects in more than 50 countries worldwide and more than 30 overseas offices, has an immediate opening for a Program Officer in its Rabat, Morocco office. Candidates must possess strong knowledge and interest in Moroccan politics and be able to operate in a fast-paced environment. A university degree, three to five years’ experience, fluency in English and Arabic, as well as Moroccan citizenship is required. Job Summary The Program Officer (PO) will be responsible for all parts of the Regional Political Party Strengthening program that IRI runs. IRI’s projects focus on building the capacity of Morocco’s regional party branches to operate transparently and accountably through participatory decision-making processes and campaign at the regional level in advance of regional elections. In addition the programs will develop the ability of women and youth in Morocco’s regional political party branches to campaign effectively for leadership positions within their respective parties and for general elected office. Reporting to the expatriate Resident Country Director, the PO will manage and report on the programs from both a programmatic and financial standpoint. The PO must have strong writing, editing and organizational skills as well as interest in the areas of grassroots civic engagement of democracy and governance programming. The PO will be evaluated based on his/her ability to carry out functions in a satisfactory way and on his/her contribution to a positive working atmosphere in the office. An additional measure will be his/her ability to operate in a team environment and support positive growth, both programmatically and personally, with colleagues.
- Participates in design and implementation of IRI regional party transparency and accountability programs.
- Develop relationships with all political parties to increase their capacity to meet their objectives and more effectively implement their own programs.
- Supervises data collection for M&E efforts, including data collection methods, storage and analysis.
- Develops and maintains productive relationships with IRI partners, including local party leaders, citizen groups, as well as IRI consultants.
- Stays up to date on legal, political and economic developments in Morocco, especially as it relates to the anticipated regionalization laws and consequential elections.
- Organizes and attends trainings, workshops and town hall meetings.
- Represents IRI at meetings and conferences with presentations where necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate degree in political science, international relations or related field and three to five years’ related experience, or equivalent combination.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in Arabic and English.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to make sounds decisions in a timely manner and exercise appropriate judgment in fulfilling tasks and in professional relations.
- Willingness to acquire new skills and knowledge required for the job.
- Willingness to travel internally in Morocco.
Submission Guidelines Interested candidates should submit a letter of intent, CV and three references to Ms. Emma Welford, [email protected] Deadline for the submission of applications is May 27, 2014. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. IMPORTANT: The work performed at IRI is solely the property of IRI. Any work prepared, created or performed is not be to reviewed, disseminated, disclosed, copied, distributed or used for any purpose other than for the benefit of IRI and the projects in the candidate’s portfolio. A nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing democracy worldwide