The High Atlas Foundation (HAF) seeks a Project Manager responsible for the timely and effective implementation of a cultural heritage project in Essaouira, Morocco. The project aims to preserve, beautify, catalogue and develop the historical narrative of the Christian, Moslem, and Jewish cemeteries of Essaouira and will run through October 2013.
The ideal candidate will have an intimate knowledge of the community in Essaouira and demonstrate a keen interest in preserving its cultural heritage and supporting its social development. S/he will have a minimum of five years experience in non-profit or development project management, with a capacity to interface with local community members, authorities and donors. The ideal candidate will also show a commitment to the participatory development approach, as practices by HAF.
- Achieving deliverables in accordance with project timeline and description
- Managing site staff
- Identifying volunteers and community leaders to facilitate trainings
- Working with local authorities to achieve objectives with respect to local norms and regulations
- Liaising with local associations and schools to ensure all stakeholders are involved in the project’s programs
- Developing curriculum for students and local community members
- Establishing and overseeing weekly training programs to take place at historic sites
- Coordinating and overseeing maintenance and preservation of historic grave sites
- Writing reports and program updates for donor and public communication
- Providing regular updates to donors
Education: BA or equivalent in Management, Development or Humanities
Experience: Minimum of 5 years’ experience in development or non-profit management
Knowledge: Knowledge of participatory development techniques and methods; Cultural norms and traditions in Essaouira.
Skills: Excellent writing skills. Strong organizational and personal communication skills.
Languages: Fluency in Arabic and French REQUIRED, English proficiency preferred.