Job Title: Programme Advisor Location: To be determined Reporting to: To be determined Manages: N/A Background SOS Children’s Villages www.sos-childrensvillages.org is an international non-governmental social development organisation that has been active in the field of children’s rights and committed to children’s needs and concerns since 1949. In 133 countries and territories our activities focus on children without parental care and children of families in difficult circumstances. We work on family-based, long-term care of children who can no longer grow up with their biological families. At our SOS Children’s Villages children experience reliable relationships and loving care once again. They grow up in a stable family environment and are supported individually until they become independent young adults. We also support disadvantaged families to prevent crisis that can in the worst case scenario lead to children being placed in out-of-home care. Our family strengthening programmes build on families’ and communities’ resources, on their ability to organise themselves and on their responsibility for the well-being of the children. The Regional Office North Africa and Middle East supports capacity building and development in national associations and in different areas of work. It leads and guides the development of programmes, strategies and policies in the Region. Purpose of Role As member of the Programme team, the Programme Advisor will help drive the on-going development of programme work within the region, ensuring the best possible responses adapted to the situation of children in each community. The Programme Advisor will focus on countries within the region but may also have an area of specialty across the region. The Programme Advisor will build capacity within the national teams notably related to programme planning, development, monitoring and evaluation. The Programme Advisor will participate in strategic planning processes and may represent the region in internal networks and working groups. Main Duties and Responsibilities
|Programme development & Quality Management · Leads and coordinates the implementation of the SOS Children’s Village Programme Policy in countries, providing technical expertise as well as facilitating the change processes. · With the CVI Representative and the Director of Programme, advises national programmes staff when setting targets and defining HR requirements and quality measures during annual and strategic planning process · Provides technical expertise to national programmes staff in programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation · Provides technical expertise in implementation of organisational and international policies, standards, and policy support documents · Supports Member Associations in entering into partnerships with local stakeholders and partners for effectively responding to the needs of the target group in area of their expertise. · Follows up on the implementation of the change process locally, and provides with regular monitoring on achievements, obstacles and challenges. · Supports the recruitment, orientation, on-going development/training and builds capacity of national programmes staff to ensure a high level of expertise in line with organisational requirements Learning, Research and knowledge management • Facilitates processes for internal and external knowledge sharing among national programmes teams in the region and supports such processes between regions Shares information within the Programme function about innovative programme approaches and supports the documentation of such approached, good practices and lessons learnt · Conducts desk research on different topics related to the Programme area (alternative care; child protection; youth integration etc..) · Support in the development of various tools and policy support documents in Arabic language · Participates in global projects/networks as requested.|
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in project/programme coordination and development
- Experience in capacity building in project cycle management, programme proposal development, monitoring and evaluation and related subjects
- Experience working in the MENA region
Skills & Knowledge
- Technical skills related to project cycle management including proposal writing and monitoring & evaluation.
- Ability to make presentation and lead capacity building activities/workshops
- Leadership skills especially relating to change processes
- Ability to think and plan strategically
- Ability to work under pressure and keep a good sense of humour.
- Strong personal organisational and self-management skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally.
- Ability to articulate the work of SOS Children’s Villages with passion.
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships and to work effectively in a multicultural and multi-ethnic environment respecting diversity.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required
- Knowledge of French, strongly desired
- Master’s degree in development studies, international cooperation, sociology or a related field is required
To apply for the post Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume by email only to: [email protected], and copy to : Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “Programme Advisor MENA” in the email subject line. Also please let us know where you saw the post advertised. The deadline for applications is: 16th of June 2015. 18.00 UTC