POSITION: Peace Corps Medical Assistant
DUTY STATION: Rabat, Morocco
DATE OF ENTRY ON DUTY: March/April
SALARY LEVEL: Annual gross total pay of 244 824 MAD, based on 40-hours/week including allowances, competitive bonus and benefits package. This amount represents total pay within a range that would be considered based on the candidate’s verifiable salary history and/or experience. In addition to this pay, the US Peace Corps offers an attractive, competitive package of benefits, including CIMR, CNSS, Health and Disability Insurance, Annual Leave and other benefits.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: February 23, 2018
Basic Function of Position:
The Peace Corps Medical Assistant (PCMA) is responsible for administrative and organizational aspects of the provision of medical care to Peace Corps Volunteers (PCVs) serving in Morocco. Duties include administrative, logistic, clinical assistance and volunteer support. The position is backed up by the administrative assistant for non-clinical duties. The PCMA must maintain strict medical confidentiality when dealing with all oral or written medical information related to volunteers and trainees. The PCMA works under the guidance of the Peace Corps Medical Officers (PCMOs) and reports to the Country Director (CD) for administrative issues.
Major Duties and Responsibilities (Full description of all duties will be listed in the PCMA’s Statement of Work.):
- Maintains a detailed and accurate log of all specimens, documents and other items sent to local laboratories or consultants.
- Ensure all PCVs medical records have been appropriately labeled, signed, dated before they are uploaded into Peace Corps’ electronic medical record system.
- Purchases medications and supplies prescribed by consultants to PCVs.
- Assists with identifying, evaluating and updating the consultants and facilities directory.
- Prepares laboratory samples and medical supplies to be sent to PCVs, and forwards them to the appropriate administrative staff for delivery.
Medical Supply Duties
- Responsible for maintaining internal medical inventory system when medication/supplies are delivered, dispensed and destroyed.
- Assists the PCMO in ordering medical supplies from USA and local/regional vendors.
- Assists PCMO with PCVs medical supply requests.
- Provides nursing care for outpatient Volunteers, including taking vital signs, vision and hearing testing, dressing changes, treatments including injections as ordered, administering immunizations, performing laboratory tests and other nursing duties as required.
- Accompanies PCVs to medical appointments: consultants’ visits, laboratory, radiology clinic, special evaluations.
- Serves as chaperone for PCMO during medical examinations and procedures.
- Responsible for sterilization of equipment, ensures an adequate supply of disposable materials, maintains internal medical inventory. Overview of the maintenance of the Health Unit to meet the clinical facility cleaning standards.
- Nursing Degree or equivalent (supporting documentation must be submitted).
- Three years of related work experience.
- Written and spoken English, French and Arabic required.
- Experience managing administrative aspects of health units/facilities, including procurement of
medical supplies and inventory control.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Power Point, Access, Outlook, and Excel).
- Morocco citizen or legal resident with status to work in Morocco.
Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes:
- Ability to be empathic, warm and friendly and highly professional.
- Must be organized and able to pay attention to small details.
- Willingness to perform non-routine tasks.
- Valid license and ability to drive when needed.
- Experience working with Americans or other foreigners in a medical context.
For consideration, all applicants must submit a Resume (CV) together with a Cover Letter stating in detail how their education and experience fulfills the requirements of the position. Submitted material must address each listed requirement. Both Cover Letter and Resume (CV) must be type written in English and emailed – by the Application Closing Date – to:
Please include the title of the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email.
(Only applicants selected for interviews will be notified by telephone and/or email.)
All experience, skills and qualifications will be verified. Employment is contingent on a favorable security background check.
The United States Peace Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer.