Musawah (www.musawah.org) is a global movement for equality and justice in Muslim families that advances human rights for women in Muslim contexts in both their public and private lives. We act to grow the movement, build knowledge and advocate for change in discriminatory laws and practices. We use a framework grounded in Islamic teachings, human rights, constitutional guarantees and the lived realities of women and men. Musawah was launched in February 2009 at a Global Meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, that was attended by over 250 women and men from some 50 countries of Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, North America and the Pacific. Musawah is in the midst of moving its Secretariat from Kuala Lumpur to Rabat and is hiring an Administrative Officer for the new Secretariat.
Closing date of applications: 15 October, 2015.
Job Description: Administrative Officer T
he role of the Administrative Officer is to provide all administrative support needs towards the efficient running of the Musawah Secretariat. This includes supporting the Musawah Coordinator and Programme Officers in the logistical planning of all activities, maintaining correspondence and documentation, monitoring budgets and income and expenditure, and all other related administrative needs of the Musawah Secretariat and its programmes.
- Correspondence, Filing and Document Preparation
Receive incoming correspondence (post, fax, email, others), distribute appropriately and inform the Musawah Coordinator on urgent correspondence that requires immediate response.Maintain filing of important informationon administering and operating the Musawah Secretariat including all documents and minutes of meetings. Assist with drafting emails and reports. Maintain and update all contact detailsin the Musawah database.
- Meetings and Administration
Coordinate all Musawah Secretariat meetings. Record minutes of meetings upon request. Obtain quotations, book flights and arrange travel and accommodation for Musawah Secretariat and all participants of its activities. Prepare folders and materials for Musawah meetings and activities. Handling inventory and distribution of Musawah publications.
- Logistics work relating to all Musawah activities:
- liase with hotels, relevant vendors and/or NGOs overseas for quotations, bookings and payment
- assist in sending out calls for applications/participation to meetings
- send out Organiser’s Form to participants/resource persons for airfare quotation, flight booking and ground transfer information
- bookings of flights with travel agent or via the internet, confirmation of flight itineraries and airfare quotations.
- send out invitation letters and visa application support letters to participants/resource persons.
- fill in and update logistics workplan.
- assist in compilation of materials and sending materials to activity venue.
- attend meetings and events overseas and provide administrative and financial support for the duration of events.
- assist with drafting and updating of budget for all activities.
- prepare and submit requisitions and supporting documents for payment.
- submit Travel Authorisation and request for Travel Advance and supporting documents for approval to travel.
- submit invoices, claims and supporting documents for payment.
- compile receipts and all supporting documents for travel expenses reporting and financial reporting.
- assist with drafting of financial report for all activities to be submitted to funders.
- Secretarial and Human Resource
- Maintain the calendar of activities for Musawah, and schedule appointments and travel arrangements accordingly.
- Apply for renewal of employment permits for foreign staff of Musawah.
- Musawah Secretariat Operations
- Participate in meetings, brainstorming on the activities for Musawah and how to carry them out more efficiently.
- Contribute to the development of funding proposals, submissions or contract agreements.
- Assist in day-to-day efficient running of the office.
- Assist the Musawah Coordinator and Programme Officers in any other tasks as instructed in pursuit of the vision, mission, goal and objectives of Musawah.
- Carry out other duties as may be reasonably required to meet the primary objectives of the position
The Administrative Officer reports directly to the Musawah Coordinator. Knowledge, Skills and Experience The small team working with the Musawah Secretariat are not so much ‘staff’ as activists and professionals who are deeply committed to Musawah’s principles and who work together to advance Musawah. They are therefore expected to be mainly self-managing and self-motivated, contributing effectively to Musawah. The Administrative Officer should be able to meet some or all of the following:
- At least three years experience in a similar position;
- Strong organisational and planning skills, with ability to prioritise and manage workload and solve problems;
- An effective team player, with interpersonal skillsto deal with staff, Musawah Advocates and vendors;
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Respect for, and awareness of the need for confidentiality.
- Good IT skills, especially in Word and Excel and ability to work with spreadsheets and manage database.
- Knowledge or experience in bookkeeping is an advantage.
- Strong sensitivity and commitment to diversity related to beliefs, perspectives, cultures, geography, sexuality
- Fluency inEnglish and in Arabic or French..
- Moroccan citizen or familiar with Moroccan context.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Available to begin by October 2015.
Location,Salary & Benefits The successful candidate will be based in Rabat, Morocco. Musawah offers a competitive salary that is appropriate for such a position in the non-profit sector, dependent upon experience and qualifications. All benefits as required by law will be provided. How to Apply Please send us a current CV / résumé, two reference letters, and a cover letter of 1-2 pages that tells us about who you are, how you meet the essential criteria for the position, why you think Musawah might be right for you, and why you might be right for Musawah. Send in your application to: email@example.com. Please include ‘Musawah Administrative Officer’ in the subject line of the email. The application closing date is 15 October, 2015.We regret that applications received late or incomplete will not be considered. Short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews by the third week of October 2015. We thank all those who apply, but only short listed candidates will be contacted. Interviews will take place in person by 22/23 of October.