Oxfam’s program in the Maghreb supports local partners to implement programs at country and regional level. The Oxfam Maghreb program focuses on social and political participation, gender justice and sustainable livelihoods. 4 Oxfam affiliates work in the Maghreb: Oxfam Italy, Intermón Oxfam, Oxfam in Belgium and Oxfam Novib (Netherlands), who manages the regional Maghreb office based in Tunis. Oxfam France also contributes to the program in terms of lobby and advocacy.
Intermón Oxfam, based in Rabat, has been present in the region for almost twenty years and leads Oxfam’s Gender Justice program in the Maghreb. The program is articulated around three axes; fight against gender based violence, women’s political participation and women’s economic rights.
To lead the international advocacy/lobbying and communications work for Oxfam’s Gender Justice program in the Maghreb, in close collaboration with the Gender Justice Programme Manager and Intermón’s Associate Country Director and in coordination with the Maghreb Policy and Communication Officerand the MENA Gender Advocacy and Media officer.
This is a challenging position, combining two key elements:
As an international advocacy/lobbying manager (80%), you will be responsible for leading and coordinating the delivery of international advocacy and lobbying related aspects of the Oxfam Maghreb Gender Justice Program, in cooperation with Maghreb program teams and other Oxfam affiliates.
As an international communication manager (20%), you will lead and coordinate international communication and internal Oxfam communication, related to the Oxfam Gender Justice Program in the Maghreb.
You will make sure that all advocacy/lobby and communication actions serve the objectives of the program and raise the profile of Oxfam’s Gender Justice work in the Maghreb, both internally and externally.
- To design and implement a comprehensive and integrated advocacy strategy and action plans for Gender Justice in the Maghreb, in coordination with Oxfam affiliates.
- To facilitate the participatory planning and budgeting process and assist peers and partners as well as manager to do so effectively. To ensure cost effectiveness, transparency and upward-downward accountability.
- To support and collaborate with other Oxfam affiliates in order to implement our advocacy/lobby strategy in their home countries.
- To stay up to date with the latest wisdom, theories, discourses and thinking on how to improve effectiveness and impact of policy and advocacy work.
- To contribute to the development and implementation of the Maghreb communications strategy, making sure the objectives of Oxfam’s Gender Justice program are taken into account as well as relevant local, regional and international trends and developments and potential Oxfam brand risks.
- To contribute to the design and production of advocacy, media and communication materials (policy lines, talking points, advocacy letters, press releases, communication materials about Oxfam supported partners and programs, program flyers), in coordination with the MaghrebPolicy and Communication Officer. You will ensure that all media and advocacy products are signed off by the relevant persons/bodies.
- To develop good working relationship with partners, social forces, institutions and private sector as relevant.
- To train, coach and support Oxfam’s staff and partners in order to build their skills and capabilities to do local level advocacy.
- To assure consistency between international and national advocacy/lobby work and with other advocacy initiatives in the region.
- To assure the reporting processes to donors and to participate in preparing new project proposals.
- To link with different Oxfam gender initiatives, particularly the MENA regional gender group.
Post holder reports to: Intermón’s Associate Country Director
Post works in close collaboration with:
1. Gender Justice Program Manager
2. National advocacy Program Officer
3. Maghreb Policy and Communication Office
QUALIFICATION, SKILLS AND COMPETENCES
- Completed an academic degree in a discipline relevant to the specific areas mentioned in relation to development cooperation.
- Education and/or experience in Gender and Women’s rights issues
- At least five years practical working experience in advocacy and campaign management or implementation, ideally in relation to development cooperation and more specifically with the private sector.
- 3 years experience with media and communication work, preferably in relation to development cooperation.
- Experience in high level negotiations.
- Good facilitation, presentation, influencing and persuasive skills, with ability to build strong, credible relationships and to communicate with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Ability to liaise with and represent Oxfam before a wide range of actors at local and national level.
- Excellent information gathering and analytical skills.
- Sound understanding on national, regional and global context with theoretical understanding on social change process is desirable.
- Ability to work independently with minimum guidance, manage time efficiently, willingness to work under pressure and follow a flexible time schedule.
- Strong project and people-management skills and demonstrated capacity as a supportive and effective manager and good team player.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French, English and Spanish are absolutely necessary. Arabic would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the NGO sector is an asset
- Ability and readiness to travel (25% of the time)
Fulltime contract for one year (with possibility of extension)
A competitive, fair pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
Start date: as soon as possible
Are you interested in this position? Send your application in writing, including a motivation letter and a curriculum vitae and mentioning reference “Advocacy PM” to firstname.lastname@example.org, by May 5th, 2013.